Saturday, August 11, 2007

At the Kingstowne Farmers Market

Kingstowne market is one of Fairfax County's farmers markets. It's every Friday from 4-7, and is held in the parking lot by the Sunoco. There are about 15 or so vendors, many of whom participate in other Fairfax Markets, and Fresh Farm Markets. It's close to me, but it took me 3 years to realize this fantastic market was here! The participants are from within a 125 mile radius and must be the producer of their own goods. Currently, my seasonal market favorites include corn, tomatoes and peaches.










Allenberg Orchards in Smithburg Md. has incredible produce at equally pleasing prices. I am now a devotee of their cherries, peaches and tomatoes. I don't think I've tasted better.






In addition to heirlooms, Allenberg Orchards also had San Marzanos! That's going to turn into pomadoro sauce.






I've never heard of these, but they just looked so beautiful, I had to snap a photo.







Corn, from another purveyor, is in abundance. $.50 each.


Here's yesterday's take, except for a couple croissants and coffee cake from Cenan's Bakery.





Now, onto making that delicious Cheddar Corn Chowder, seen here. Stay tuned for the recipe.

2 comments:

DC Food Blog said...

Your blog is great. That sorbet looks incredible. I put up a little shout out over on my blog because I think the people that read us will enjoy you too. Here's to the weekend!

-J from DC Food Blog

Unknown said...

Great photos! Next time you are at Kingstowne stop by and say hi.

Crackpot Gourmet