Monday, August 20, 2007

The Spanglish Sandwich - cue the Hallelujah Chorus


When I first saw the movie "Spanglish", I did not take note of the sandwich per se. I was entranced by Adam Sandler pouring his beer blindly. I thought to myself "I wonder how many takes that took!" and "Mmmmm.....beer". Then I watched the movie again. I thought it brilliant that his character automatically plated his sandwich in food photo fashion. Slice, separate and let the egg run. I'm sure that was all Thomas Keller.
Speaking of brilliant, this sandwich has been dubbed "The World's Best Sandwich". It's really that good. I wanted to keep true to the recipe and ingredients, but wanted the sandwich to reflect the products I get locally. You'll see the original recipe below, with my local ingredients which I used, beside them in parenthesis.


Ingredients:


3 to 4 thick slices of bacon

2 slices Monterey Jack cheese ( Keswick Creamery Cheddar)

2 slices pain de Campagne (Atwater Bakery country white loaf), toasted

1 tablespoon mayonnaise

4 slices tomato (Allenberg Orchard salad tomatoes)

2 leaves butter lettuce (red leaf lettuce)

1 teaspoon butter

1 egg



Directions:

Cook bacon until crisp. Allow bacon to drain on paper towels.

Lightly toast bread. I used my broiler and kept it on until I needed it to melt the cheese.
Place cheese on one slice of bread. On the other slice, spread mayonnaise and layer bacon, then tomatoes and then the lettuce.

Melt butter in non stick fry pan and cook egg over easy. Keep it gooey!

Melt cheese under broiler.

Place egg on lettuce.

Place melted cheese bread on top,cheese side down.

Slice and allow egg to run!







Now go wipe the egg yolk and tomato juice from your chin!




No comments: