Sunday, August 12, 2007

Cheddar Corn Chowder


The corn** from this week's farmer's market haul is white, crisp, juicy and sweet. It's perfect for making one of my favorite soups; cheddar corn chowder. This recipe is Ina Garten's "The Barefoot Contessa".

I think Ina is brilliant. Without any formal training, she built a gourmet food empire, has written books and catered, and has a successful show on Food Network. And, she has to be the best neighbor in the world. What I'd give to pop over her better-than-home-and-garden manse, and be a guinea pig for a new recipe!

I've tweaked the recipe just a bit to make it my own. I feel the additions to her original recipe give the flavor an additional boost. First, here's a link to the recipe. Now, I add a tablespoon of paprika in addition to the turmeric. I think the flavor goes really well and boosts the rich color. In fact, I would say simply skip the turmeric if you don't happen to have it on hand when you want to make this recipe. Second, I cook the potatoes about 10 minutes longer and use an immersion blender to blend about 25% of the cubed potatoes*. This enhances the creaminess. Last, I also add a tablespoon of thyme to accent the corn.
This recipe makes a great deal of soup. I've frozen it before with success.


Enjoy!

* Here's a photo instruction of how to get equal sized potato cubes. Planks, sticks and cubes.






First, place the potato on it's side and cut into 3-4 "planks".





Then, lay each potato half flat and cut into "sticks".





Now, cut across sticks to make "cubes". This makes quick work for cubing 2 lbs. of potatoes.




**To remove kernels from corn, without them flying 2 feet away, get a big bowl and place a smaller bowl, inverted, in the big bowl. Place your ear of corn and slice kernels from top to bottom.

No comments: